From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2021-05-31 17:07:02

Julien Blanc wrote:
> Now there is the special case of Visual Studio, where the build system,
> the project manager and the compiler are so tied together that it makes
> it really hard to use the VS build system to compile using any other
> compiler, and vice-versa.

You can't use arbitrary compiles with MS Build, but you can choose a
toolset with -T. This is the same functionality that can be accessed from
the IDE, in Project Properties > Platform Toolset. E.g. -T v140 selects
msvc-14.0 and -T clang-cl selects, well, clang-cl (at least in principle -
for some reason it have stopped working for me, and neither does
-T llvm. Might be because I'm using the clang-cl installed by Visual Studio
and not the one from llvm.org.)