From: Alexander Grund (alexander.grund_at_[hidden])
Date: 2021-06-11 06:55:54

> FWIW, the most common biting issue is when mixing static/shared.
>
> All-static and all-shared are usually pretty safe.
>
> But when libraries A and B both use dependency C, and either of A and
> B is shared, then C must be shared as well -- things will often break
> horribly if C is static.
>
> (Having said that, what actually happens is highly dependent on
> whether using Windows or something UNIXy, and for the latter what
> symbol visibility level is being used.  And for some libraries and
> some platforms/settings then there will be no apparent problems.)
>
> But this sort of thing is usually why tools like CMake prefer to offer
> global settings to configure static/shared rather than letting it be
> configured on a target-by-target basis.  You *can* override that, but
> it is at your own peril.  (Or that of the downstream app.)

Yes, that is why I think providing foo::shared and foo::static is
usually(!) an anti-pattern. You should just have foo (i.e. Boost::foo)
and let CMake decide what that should be based on BUILD_SHARED (the one
variable whose naming is bad)

Of course this still allows to build your Boost::foo explicitely as
static or shared in which case the problem is also avoided as then only
one version of it exists anyway.

> A header-only library cannot *link* to anything, or it is not
header-only.

Depends on what you mean by "link". In CMake-terms this includes
"depends on", which IMO is correct. So e.g. a header-only threading
library will depend on pthreads, so it will link to pthreads.
Of course you could omit linking to pthread at the cost of the user
having to find out on what this "header-only" library depends on and
having to link all those manually.