From: Julien Blanc (julien.blanc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2021-10-19 05:42:15

Le mardi 19 octobre 2021 à 04:33 +0300, Peter Dimov via Boost a écrit :

> This is not what we want. We want a converting string_view that is
> called
> boost::string_view. The way to get it is to make a converting
> string_view so
> that we demonstrate the viability of the idea, then make
> boost::string_view
> be it.

>From the discussion, what i understand is what you want ideally is an
std::string_view for c++11/14.

> (Before you suggest that the library should use boost::string_view
> under C++14 and std::string_view under C++17, note that this makes it
> impossible to build the library under C++14 and use it from C++17,
> which is a common scenario when using the system-provided Boost
> package.)

I'm sorry but i'm gonna raise that suggestion. While I agree it does
not solve the general use case, it looks to me like an acceptable
solution for boost.json. IIRC boost.json is advertised as a nearly
header-only library, where you have to include an hpp file once in your
project. So ABI mismatch should not hold there (by the way, i just
checked that it is the way it is packaged on my debian stable, no
binary for json is included).

Maybe some #defines could be added to avoid some mismatches, or to
force an ABI independantly from language level.

Regards,

Julien