From: Stefan Seefeld (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2022-04-04 23:04:54

On 2022-04-04 13:43, Vinnie Falco via Boost wrote:
> Well, now that I have everyone's attention just before the release,
> I'd like to draw attention to the elephant in the room. That is, the
> declining level of activity on the Boost mailing lists and the
> declining level of participation in the Boost formal review process.
> Both in terms of the number of reviewers, and in terms of the
> difficulty in finding a review manager.
>
> Clearly, a website update is necessary and along with it some type of
> campaign to highlight once again the important role that Boost serves
> in the C++ community for both professionals and amateurs alike. But
> what more can we do?
>
> This came up before but it is worth mentioning again; in addition to a
> website update to make boost.org modern and relevant, how do we feel
> about a transition to forum-based discussion instead of the mailing
> list? I realize this will ruffle some feathers but surely the
> alternative, a descent into irrelevance due to steady declining
> activity is worse?

It stands to reason that a decline of participation (or development
activity in general) is somehow caused by the website not being
attractive or the communication requiring the wrong tools.

In fact, I remember numerous discussions all being misguided by the
underlying assumption that everything can be solved by new and shiny
tools. (What else would you expect from a bunch of engineers !?)

(For avoidance of doubt, I have nothing against a website overhaul or a
move to a different communication channel. But I strongly doubt that
this per se will have any lasting effect on the community.)

Stefan