From: Kenneth Porter (shiva_at_[hidden])
Date: 2022-05-12 13:02:23

On 5/12/2022 5:30 AM, Andrey Semashev via Boost wrote:
> This question seems to be unrelated to Boost, but in general you should
> avoid mixing different C++ versions in one application.

I'm branching off from the current discussion about the minimum
supported C++ language version for Boost. If Boost goes C++14 and my
customer is still on C++03, I'm concerned about my DLL being compatible
with their EXE. (I don't expose Boost or STL in my headers. Nor do I
expose C++ strings. Allocations don't cross the EXE/DLL boundary, using
factory constructors and destroy methods.)

But I do worry about the ABI compatibility. According to MS, linking is
allowed between compiler versions if the latest linker is used, but they
don't say anything about language versions.