From: Andrzej Krzemienski (akrzemi1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2022-12-03 18:42:03

sob., 3 gru 2022 o 03:03 David Sankel via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
napisał(a):

> Hi all,
>
> At C++Now this year I gave a talk on the status of Boost and presented this
> graph which illustrated the trend of Boost mailing list participation.
>

> https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1ocX8Dh4B98gxfXJTWOriaEU1tmJN61M4RfjUHoqLsK8/edit#slide=id.g11b878c1600_1_38
>
> I'm interested to hear your opinions as to what happened over that time
> period to cause such a trend. There's truth to the claim that this question
> is being asked of the wrong people; those who left, stopped participating,
> or would otherwise start probably have good insight. Nevertheless, I think
> it would be interesting for us to brainstorm on this.
>
> Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Let me share my experience. Recently I learned that there is a Boost Slack
channel, where Boost developers converse, and where one can obtain help
even faster than in this mailing list. This indeed turned out to be the
case for me, so my attention shifted there, at least for small things. 10
years ago it was just the mailing list. Now my impression is that there is
no one single point where Boost discussions take place. For bigger topics,
where I need to write more than three paragraphs, I would still go with the
mailing list, as the Slack interface is hardly suitable for tracking longer
discussions.

For another example, the design discussions regarding Boost.URL, I had them
in Boost.URL GitHub, as this appeared a more natural place. Maybe we are
decentralizing.

Regards,
&rzej;