From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2022-12-04 14:22:04

 https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1ocX8Dh4B98gxfXJTWOriaEU1tmJN61M4RfjUHoqLsK8/edit#slide=id.g11b878c1600_1_38

> I'm interested to hear your opinions as to what happened over that time
> period to cause such a trend. There's truth to the claim that this
 question
> is being asked of the wrong people; those who left, stopped participating,
> or would otherwise start probably have good insight. Nevertheless, I think
> it would be interesting for us to brainstorm on this.

I presented a graph I think at C++ Now 2015 with the exact same trend.
Apart from the year in which the design of Outcome was discussed here,
mailing list volume continues its trend line downwards.

I mention that Outcome review year, because it shows that if there is
something interesting to discuss here, people do discuss it here and
they come from elsewhere to here to read the discussion. People will
link to discussion threads from social media, and from other languages.
I remember links to Boost mailing list discussion points on Outcome
being linked to from Rust, Python and other programming language
communities, not just from within C++.

Back in the day when I had time to donate, my solution to creating more
interesting things to discuss here was to set up a pipeline of new young
developers coming into Boost and sometimes C++ using Google Summer of
Code. I think that was quite successful, we got a few new libraries out
of it, and some new young developer talent into C++ as an ecosystem.

I've always been of the belief that successfully ingressing new young
developers is the best way to revitalising any mature ecosystem. Not
necessarily because the old timers are out of ideas, but they are
usually extremely time pressed in a way younger developers are not.
Also, contributions of new big stuff to open source particularly
benefits the career of a younger dev in a way it doesn't for an older
dev - most of those Google Summer of Code young devs immediately stepped
into a six figure income after I wrote them a glowing reference based on
their participation in the Boost SoC, and that's huge for them in a way
it can't be for older devs. So they've got a bigger incentive to invest
their free time in a way few old timers can rationalise.

It requires sustained effort to bring new devs into C++. It isn't
exactly cool nor sexy like say Rust is, so they don't ingress on their
own anything like as quickly as if they are proactively nurtured in. So
if you want revitalisation, that needs constant daily work to nurture
and bring forth new talent, and all the drudgery that entails.

Niall