From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2022-12-27 01:07:53

It's the end of 2022. I wanted to take a moment to recognize the
contributions to Boost over the last dozen years or so by Jon Kalb.

I first met Jon at a Microsoft Meeting named "Going Native" which was
promoting a "resurgence" of C++ over Languages like Java and C#. It
seems that this was related to the C++ committee incorporating large
parts of Boost into the standard library and Microsofts renewed
commitment to C++. This is my take, I'm sure someone else could provide
more details on this. My view that was that there wasn't much more for
Boost to do. Dave Abrahams was moving on to bigger things which
reinforced this impression.

Jon was enthusiastic about taking the lead on Boost. It was clear that
he and I had a different visions. I sort of cringed - it looked to me
like he got suckered. He asked me if I planned to attend C++Now - I
weaseled out of actually answering.

Of course he turned out to be right and I was wrong. The C++ committee
hasn't really been able to replace Boost. It's too slow and cumbersome.
Working as a design committee isolated from actual implementation
doesn't seem to conducive to designing good, clean, elegant software.
And it takes forever. It's odd to me that the committee adopted a large
part of Boost software, but failed to learn anything from Boost about
how to make this kind of stuff.

So in this environment Jon led Boost. He worked from top to bottom on
all the stuff that needs to be done - finances, legal, C++Now planning,
recruitment of collaborators, etcetra . Very successful and, like many
successful people, made it look easy. Hence he has not been appreciated
to the extent he should be.

Now he as moved on from Boost - he will be missed. Apparently this was
in the works for some time but was pushed along by complaint about his
handling about an alleged code of conduct violation which in my view was
blown way out of proportion. I think the Boost BOD has treated Jon
shabbily regarding this incident. My aim here is to correct that.
Boost has had a large role in saving C++ from decline into obscurity.
David Abrahams and Beman Dawes were the primary promoters at Boost at
it's start. I don't think it's too much to say that these two persons
saved C++. To this list, I'd like to add the name of Jon Kalb, without
whom Boost would likely have wound down with C++11.

--
Robert Ramey
www.rrsd.com