From: Glen Fernandes (glen.fernandes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2023-02-05 23:10:42

On Sun, Feb 5, 2023 at 6:07 PM jepessen wrote:

> Mustache is a library that needs at least C++11, while in another thread
> (Dropping C++03 support again) you're talking about dropping the support
> for
> C++03. But it means that now it's supported, so this library does not
> satisfy the requirement to be usable by C++03 compilers.
> What do you do in this case? The C++03 support is needed only for existing
> libraries or also for new ones? I'm asking because I've some idea for
> libraries and I'd like to propose one of them someday, but I need to know
> if
> they can satisfy the compiler requirements (I usually work only with modern
> compilers).
>
> What do you do with compiler support in this case?

Not all Boost libraries support C++03. Some support only C++11 and above,
others support only C++14 and above.

The only requirement for new libraries being proposed to Boost is that they
compile with the latest C++ standard and at least 2 C++ compiler
implementations.

The thread you're seeing is about those Boost libraries that still support
C++03 that feel they cannot drop it because other Boost libraries depend on
them.

Even now, any Boost library that has no other Boost library depending on
it, is free to drop support for all C++ standard versions below the latest
(C++20). i.e. Boost library authors have always had this freedom.

Glen