From: Glen Fernandes (glen.fernandes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2023-02-06 00:05:49

On Sun, Feb 5, 2023 at 6:47 PM Robert Ramey wrote:

> I maintain the Boost Serialization Library. It's consistent with
> (supports?) C++03. For the last 20 years, all I've done is bug fixes and
> updates to be build system scripts. No one has complained - and of
> course why would they?
>
> P.S. I can't help that the word "supports" is ill-chosen here. I
> honestly don't understand what it means in this context.

Robert, the only way the proposed announcement would affect you is the
following:

Let's say you decide you want Boost.Serialization to continue to work in
C++03 compilers. Imagine the announcement is made that "Boost 1.82 is the
last release where the release managers will care about tests failing in
C++03 standards mode". Now Boost.Serialization depends on some other Boost
libraries, for example, it uses boost::addressof() from Boost.Core. In
Boost 1.83 let's say we make a change to boost::addressof such that it no
longer compiles in C++03 mode. Now Boost.Serialization in 1.83 will also
not compile in C++03 mode.

So in that scenario: If you wanted Boost.Serialization to continue to be
usable in C++03 code, you would have to stop depending on boost::addressof
and have your own boost::serialization::addressof implementation, etc.

Glen