From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2023-04-27 15:11:19

On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 7:56 AM Robert Ramey via Boost
<boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I fail to see what is to be gained by replacing the current system.

The current system is not being "replaced" it is being enhanced, with
the OPTION (but not the requirement) to interact with the mailing
lists using a modern, forum-based interface. Just as there are folks
who have expressed that they would not participate in Boost
discussions outside of the mailing list interface, there are as many
(or more) people who have expressed that they will not interact with
Boost through the mailing list at all. You don't hear from them
because well, they don't post to the list (the dog that didn't bark).

You ask, what is to be gained? Well, the largest existential threat to
Boost is that we do not refresh the foundations of our social
technology and our membership. Library membership in Boost no longer
carries the cachet that it used to. Authors of new libraries
increasingly prefer to go directly to the C++ standard instead of
being thoroughly vetted in a Boost review. If we want to continue to
maintain Boost's extraordinary relevance, we must do the following:

1. Make the mailing list more appealing to younger generations
(millenials and the TikTok youths)

2. Increase participation in the Boost Formal Review process

3. Spark the imagination of the new generations of library authors
    - to write new libraries
    - to submit their libraries to Boost for review
    - to become active maintainers upon acceptance

4. Inspire people to contribute to Boost
    - by using the libraries, and providing feedback
    - by contributing to individual projects
    - by helping with documentation
    - by helping other users with questions or problems

The mailing lists must never go away, for as long as there are even a
few people who prefer them. But this cannot be the sole method to
participate in the Boost social space. To stay current we must provide
additional choices. The need for a forum interface is obvious.

Thanks