From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2023-04-29 23:18:05

Andrey Semashev wrote:
> And lastly. I realize that the proposed Boost.Compat is supposed to contain
> direct equivalents of the standard components. But what if we want to
> improve on that? Would this be not allowed simply because this would deviate
> from the standard?

No, it wouldn't be allowed. Improving upon the standard makes it impossible
to later replace the compatibility header with a using declaration. We have
such a problem today with e.g. Boost.Ratio and Boost.Chrono, where because
of extensions we can't simply make them be <ratio> and <chrono>.

It's fine to want to improve upon the standard, but Compat will not be the
place for that. That's what dedicated libraries are for.