From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2023-05-03 15:55:10

On 5/3/23 16:01, Sam Darwin wrote:
> Amazon SES is a basic SMTP gateway service. It has fewer features and
> options than mailgun.
> Incoming and outgoing mail are handled differently. When emails are
> sent out from the mailman server, they are proxied through SES. Only
> verified identities may send mail. Notice the sender says
> "boost_at_[hidden]", since lists.boost.org is a verified domain
> that is working, otherwise it would be blocked. Incoming emails go
> directly to mailman, not through any intermediary. SES is not involved
> with incoming emails to the mail server. This is the same situation as
> before.
> - Are emails being sent out? Almost certainly all the emails are being
> sent as shown by the mail logs on the mail server, and on SES it says
> "0.01% bounce rate", which is very good.
> - Is threading working? checking lists.boost.org, messages are
> organized into threads.
> However, it may be that threading is only partially correct. If that
> is what you are reporting.

The fact that the initial message is not part of the thread now is a
relatively recent issue. This is the mailman archive from a year ago:

https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2022/04/index.php

Threading is fine there. In fact, threading was working correctly as
recently as in February 2023:

https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2023/02/index.php

and has been broken in March:

https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2023/03/index.php

If the system works (and worked) the way you describe, mailman was able
to associate the initial message with the thread before and now it
isn't. I suspect, this may have something to do with the headers that
are added by SES to the messages it sends to the subscribers.