From: Sam Darwin (samuel.d.darwin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2023-05-03 13:01:53

Amazon SES is a basic SMTP gateway service. It has fewer features and
options than mailgun.
Incoming and outgoing mail are handled differently. When emails are
sent out from the mailman server, they are proxied through SES. Only
verified identities may send mail. Notice the sender says
"boost_at_[hidden]", since lists.boost.org is a verified domain
that is working, otherwise it would be blocked. Incoming emails go
directly to mailman, not through any intermediary. SES is not involved
with incoming emails to the mail server. This is the same situation as
before.
- Are emails being sent out? Almost certainly all the emails are being
sent as shown by the mail logs on the mail server, and on SES it says
"0.01% bounce rate", which is very good.
- Is threading working? checking lists.boost.org, messages are
organized into threads.
However, it may be that threading is only partially correct. If that
is what you are reporting.
There are only a few settings exposed in the gateway to be able to
adjust. One of them which hasn't been added yet is "Custom MAIL FROM
domain", that could be modified from the default of amazonses.com to
"a subdomain of lists.boost.org". As an experiment, I will set that
today, and observe if it helps.

Mailgun has been in production for many years. It costs $500 per month
to send smtp messages. It's a reasonable idea to try out another
service that's only 5% of the cost.
But at the same time, it's not impossible to switch back to mailgun,
if threading is partially disrupted, and we can't find a solution.