From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2023-05-12 04:15:27

On 5/11/23 6:45 PM, Glen Fernandes wrote:
> On Thu, May 11, 2023 at 9:20 PM Marshall Clow via Boost
> <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> > On May 11, 2023, at 12:01 PM, Bryan St. Amour via Boost
> <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I noticed that under boost/serialization, there is a file
> "collection_size_type copy.hpp" (notice the space in the file
> name.) Comparing it with the contents of collection_size_type.hpp,
> it looks like "collection_size_type copy.hpp" is newer. Can
> someone verify which one is the correct collection_size_type
> header file?
>
> This is https://github.com/boostorg/serialization/issues/237
> <https://github.com/boostorg/serialization/issues/237>
> And https://github.com/boostorg/serialization/issues/221
> <https://github.com/boostorg/serialization/issues/221>
>
> Sadly, this has been a problem for several releases.
>

> Robert, your merges to master aren't removing the file ...
Thanks for observing this.

There is a little more to it than this though.  Some time ago I modified
my usage of Git so that I have my development updates in the development
branch - so far so good.   But then I noticed that all the same
information incremental files were repeated in the master branch.  I
found this redundant, repetitive and confusing. So I took to using
"squash and merge" when incorporating the changes on the development
branch. This option is available on GitHub. This seemed to give me what
I wanted: a detailed history of development and a concise changes in the
history of releases. It seems that something is awry here as the "squash
& merge" option doesn't merge file deletions.  When I catch up, I'll
look into this.

--
Robert Ramey
www.rrsd.com