From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2023-05-12 05:29:38

On 5/11/23 9:15 PM, Robert Ramey via Boost wrote:

> There is a little more to it than this though.  Some time ago I modified
> my usage of Git so that I have my development updates in the development
> branch - so far so good.   But then I noticed that all the same
> information incremental files were repeated in the master branch.  I
> found this redundant, repetitive and confusing. So I took to using
> "squash and merge" when incorporating the changes on the development
> branch. This option is available on GitHub. This seemed to give me what
> I wanted: a detailed history of development and a concise changes in the
> history of releases. It seems that something is awry here as the "squash
> & merge" option doesn't merge file deletions.  When I catch up, I'll
> look into this.

Note this this procedure has some effects which were unanticipated.

a) when someone checks in a change into the master branch without
telling me, it is wiped out by the next merger to master. At first I
thought this was a bug, now I'm thinking this is more of feature as it
takes a long time to track down cases where someone has made changes
which leave the master permanently out of sync with the development branch.

b) The development and master branches are always the same at the time
of release. Again - a feature not a bug.

c) Of course it probably does annoy he who checked in a change directly
to master, but he shouldn't be doing that anyway.

Robert Ramey