From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2023-06-27 17:55:18

On 6/27/23 10:39 AM, Vinnie Falco via Boost wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 27, 2023 at 10:34 AM Robert Ramey via Boost
> <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> To my mind, efforts would be better spent just converting all libraries
>> to Boost Book.
>
> Yep, I'll do that right after Peter does it.
LOL

> Note that I addressed this in my email to the list during C++Now. I quote:
>
>> I think these problems can be solved. But not by demanding that “everyone who maintains a Boost library must do X.” In Boost culture when you want something done you need to do it yourself, then convince the mailing list of the merits of your proposal.

Boost does have these sorts of requirements. E.g - a boost library must
have a test suite.

I think the effort required to build this searchable index is greater
than that required to convert docs to Boost Book. Of course I don't
really know that so let's not start a debate about that. What happens
when the maintainer of the searchable index is not around any more? Then
were dependent on something that doesn't work like it did initially.

I'm aware that Boost Book XML is inconvenient to work with and not
popular for this reason. Hence the current situation.

Perhaps I might suggest to the developer on this project that he might
want to use the boost book xml if available. This would be a one time
effort which would address all these libraries at once. The other
libraries would be handled on a one by one basis by an ad hoc approach
being proposed.

Of course, he who is doing the work get's to decide - that's the boost
way.

> https://cppalliance.org/boost/2023/05/08/Future-of-Boost.html
>
> You are suggesting "all libraries should be converted to Boost Book."
> I say, thanks for volunteering to do that Robert :)

Hmmm - but now we've got someone who is tasked with do "something" do
make all the documentation searchable.