From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-01-13 18:42:59

On 1/13/24 8:35 AM, Janek Kozicki via Boost wrote:
> Robert Ramey via Boost said: (by the date of Tue, 9 Jan 2024 11:48:44 -0800)
>
>> This would in practice eliminate the concept of Boost version 1.84
>> etc... and replace with Boost Serialization library version 1, ...
>> Boost would migrate from being a single/monolithic library to a group of
>> libraries with some explicit dependencies (on other boost librarys,
>> standard library or ?).
>
> I have a following code snippet in my serialization header:
>

> // To correctly recognize serialization of Inf and NaN numbers,
> // there are different includes for different boost versions
> #if BOOST_VERSION>=104700
> #include<boost/math/special_functions/nonfinite_num_facets.hpp>
> #else
> #include<boost/math/nonfinite_num_facets.hpp>
> #endif
>
> How do you plan to not break it with separate version numbers for each library?

I would expect each library to be versioned individually. So the above
would look something like:

> // To correctly recognize serialization of Inf and NaN numbers,
> // there are different includes for different boost versions
> #include <boost/math/version.hpp>
> #if BOOST_MATH_VERSION >= 12 (or ?)
> #include<boost/math/special_functions/nonfinite_num_facets.hpp>
> #else
> #include<boost/math/nonfinite_num_facets.hpp>
> #endif

As an (off topic) aside, that the the serialization library has an
archive version number embedded in every archive. It's incremented
everytime the archive format is amended. In this way the most recent
versions of the serialization library can read archives created in all
previous versions of the library. I think this number is up to 20 now.

Robert Ramey