From: Rainer Deyke (rdeyke_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-02-05 08:56:03

On 05.02.24 02:02, g.peterhoff--- via Boost wrote:
>> So what's your point?
>
> Another example.
> I had asked for a TypeTrait is_integer and also supplied code for it (https://github.com/boostorg/type_traits/issues/186).
> The point is that is_integer only returns integer (no character, no bool).
> John immediately closed my request "We are not responsible for that".

I wouldn't have accepted this is_integer either, because its definition
of "integer" is flawed in two respects:
   - It excludes integer types that don't have an intX_t alias. For
example, int and long are commonly both 32 bits, but only one of them
gets the int32_t alias. Or if long is 64 bit, then it commonly shares
as size with long long.
   - Contrary to your description, it includes some character types
because int8_t and uint8_t are usually aliases for (signed) char and
(unsigned) char.

If you had called it has_fixed_size_int_t_alias, it would at least be
named correctly - but I would still need to see an argument that it is
actually useful.

--
Rainer Deyke (rainerd_at_[hidden])