From: Artyom Beilis (artyom.beilis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-04-11 14:27:46

On Tue, Apr 2, 2024 at 5:35 PM Daniele Lupo via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> On 02/04/2024 13:20, Andrey Semashev via Boost wrote:
> > No, not ok.
> >
> > Incompatibility with newer Boost releases means that the code is no
> > longer compatible with other code that *requires* the newer Boost. For
> > example, a library that uses boost::shared_ptr will be incompatible with
> > an application or another library that requires Boost version where
> > boost::shared_ptr has been removed.
>
> Sorry, but I don't see the point here. What you're saying it's true, but
> it's the normality. If I write a program that links to Qt4, cannot be
> linked to another program that uses Qt6. Nobody complains it.

I wish Boost was nearly as compatible as Qt. Seriously.

Qt has very good API compatibility between major releases and binary
compatibility across entire major version. Boost is horrible in that.

It was one of the reasons I barely use Boost nowadays because
you can never know when it breaks something.

I have experienced so many issues with compilation against different
versions of boost (not in my code) that it is really a big problem.

Qt does amazing job in keeping ABI stable, boost can't even have barly
stable API.

Artyom