From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-05-07 15:11:07

Niall Douglas wrote:
> On 03/05/2024 17:45, René Ferdinand Rivera Morell via Boost wrote:
> > I got the email below from discourse.boost.org (I had subscribed long ago).
> > So getting something was not unexpected. What I'm wondering about are
> this:
> >
> > Q: What is this new "Beman Project Development" thing about?
> > A: It's something from C++Now initiated by The Boost Foundation (DBA)
> >
> > Q: Did they get permission from the Beman family to use Beman Dawes'
> > name this way?
> > A: ??
>
> There is also a website: https://www.bemanproject.org/
>
> And a github org with projects: https://github.com/beman-project
>
> And here is some more documentation which looks like this is intended to be a
> successor/replacement of Boost:
> https://github.com/beman-project/beman/wiki/Governance-Documents and
> https://github.com/beman-project/beman/wiki/Mission-Statement.
>
> I see a number of long standing Boost folk involved.
>
> I am very much out of the loop of all things C++ recently (indeed, I now write C
> not C++ for the day job), so obviously things have been a'happening in the
> background, resources allocated, decisions taken.
>
> It would be nice if some of those long standing Boost folk could explain some
> more.

I agree with Niall. It would be good if those behind the new project can explain
what they are trying to do and what the Boost Foundation's role is.

It's not like we can't easily draw and share our own conclusions in the absence
of such explanation, but it would still be good to hear them out first.