From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-05-23 23:56:49

Andrey Semashev wrote:
> On 5/24/24 02:07, Marshall Clow wrote:
> > As I wrote in that issue:
> > The archives on GitHub are not official releases.
> >
> > Please stop pretending/telling people that they are.
> >
> > If I could remove them entirely, I would do so.
> > But they appear to be an artifact of the tagging process.
>
> They are not a mere artifact of tagging. They were purposely added

Correct, I added them.

> - first, to
> help CMake users (CMake-targeted tarballs have a different file layout), then
> to fix issues with jfrog (the b2 archives are similar to those published on jfrog,
> but lack documentation).

I added the b2 archives so that people downloading Boost in CI jobs, especially
from Github Actions, can use an archive that is smaller (because it contains
no documentation, which isn't needed on CI), doesn't stress our primary
downloads, and is much faster to download because it stays within the Github
servers.