From: Julien Blanc (julien.blanc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-07-18 08:00:04

18 juillet 2024 à 02:00 "Vinnie Falco via Boost" <boost_at_[hidden]> a écrit:

> On Wed, Jul 17, 2024 at 4:21 PM Andrey Semashev via Boost <
>
> > I think, this violates BSL and I find this unacceptable.
> >

> I agree, this is a problem (if true). It is not the intent to
> prevent people from improving the distribution. On the other hand if
> someone wants to package some malware into the zip file with a Boost
> release, I would prefer that we could stop them from using the mark. Very
> happy to hear ideas on how to adjust the balance between openness and
> safety.

This has been a problem for Firefox (ensuring no malware was distributed with their logo), and the mozilla fundation has worked very hard to find a solution. I'm not sure which exact state it is on now. I do remember that at the beginning it lead to the creation of icedove in debian (a rebranded version of firefox, because of the non-free trademarks on the logos and a too exclusive copyright), but then eventually came into firefox being available again (with mozilla owned branding) in debian due to some changes and/or agreement found.

So, first, i'll look at how they handle it now, because it looks like they have found a pretty good balance.

Regards,

Julien