From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-07-18 08:14:43

On July 18, 2024 3:01:02 AM Vinnie Falco <vinnie.falco_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 17, 2024 at 4:21 PM Andrey Semashev via Boost <
> boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> I think, this violates BSL and I find this unacceptable.
>
> I agree, this is a problem (if true). It is not the intent to
> prevent people from improving the distribution. On the other hand if
> someone wants to package some malware into the zip file with a Boost
> release, I would prefer that we could stop them from using the mark. Very
> happy to hear ideas on how to adjust the balance between openness and
> safety.

I think, safety is achieved by providing ways to verify integrity of the
packages we distribute and educating users to use our official disribution
channels along with package verification. Third party distributions should
not concern us much unless those are malicious. In the latter case I doubt
trademark protection will be effective anyway.