From: Ion Gaztañaga (igaztanaga_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-07-18 22:34:55

El 19/07/2024 a las 0:18, Andrey Semashev via Boost escribió:

> Again, that is an additional restriction compared to BSL. I do not
> accept that. By this I mean, as a Boost library maintainer, I would have
> to remove the references to your new logo from my libraries to keep them
> under BSL. As a Boost user, I would have to reconsider how I'm consuming
> and packaging Boost. Stopping using official Boost releases with the
> logo would be one of the options. Needless to say, I'd be very unhappy,
> whichever hat I wear.

I really don't understand how an image can be right under BSL. BSL only
speaks about software:

"...use, reproduce, display, distribute, execute, and transmit the
Software, and to prepare derivative works of the Software..."

and certainly the logo is not software.

It seems to me that we need a different license for the logo, but sadly
I'm not an expert on that. Maybe we should take inspiration from other
software projects which have a logo.

E.g. POCO uses BSL for software but "Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International" for the logo.

Best,

Ion