From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-07-18 22:39:20

On 7/19/24 01:34, Ion Gaztañaga via Boost wrote:
> El 19/07/2024 a las 0:18, Andrey Semashev via Boost escribió:
>
>> Again, that is an additional restriction compared to BSL. I do not
>> accept that. By this I mean, as a Boost library maintainer, I would have
>> to remove the references to your new logo from my libraries to keep them
>> under BSL. As a Boost user, I would have to reconsider how I'm consuming
>> and packaging Boost. Stopping using official Boost releases with the
>> logo would be one of the options. Needless to say, I'd be very unhappy,
>> whichever hat I wear.
>
> I really don't understand how an image can be right under BSL. BSL only
> speaks about software:
>
> "...use, reproduce, display, distribute, execute, and transmit the
> Software, and to prepare derivative works of the Software..."
>
> and certainly the logo is not software.

BSL also covers documentation, which is part of the "Software":

<quote>
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person or
organization obtaining a copy of the software and accompanying
documentation covered by this license (the "Software") to use,
reproduce, display, distribute, execute, and transmit the Software, and
to prepare derivative works of the Software, and to permit third-parties
to whom the Software is furnished to do so, all subject to the following:
</quote>

The logo is being presented as part of the documentation.