From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-07-18 23:02:42

On Thu, Jul 18, 2024 at 3:45 PM René Ferdinand Rivera Morell via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> ...we can resolve the issue more readily with a new logo.

I'm not sure this is true. That is to say, I believe that any problems with
the old logo preventing its use in the manner I am proposing for the new
one can be easily solved. There are two issues here getting conflated:

1. Is the new logo superior to the old logo strictly in terms of visual
style?

2. Is Boost helped with a protected image mark?

The C++ Alliance could easily use its resources to build up the old logo by
resolving the copyright, registering a trademark, and applying the usage
policy. However I do not have the same enthusiasm for investing in the old
logo as the new one has some advantages, at least to me:

* The new logo is clean and memorable
* The new logo is different from the old one, signifying a change
* The new logo design is modern, while the old one is dated

The proponents of the old logo consist largely of the contributors who were
present when it was created. New people, especially those that have just
joined the project, don't have the same emotional investment so the old
logo doesn't really speak to them. It certainly doesn't speak to anyone
outside the project. You could verify this. Simply ask Ruben, Marcelo,
Krystian, Alan, Braden, or any of the younger people who have joined Boost
lately.

Or, you could ask reddit (which admittedly is a terrible idea so let's not
read too much into this):

https://www.reddit.com/r/logodesign/comments/1e62zhi/which_design_achieves_the_goal/

The issue of whether or not Boost benefits from having a legally registered
image mark and an organization who uses its resources to ensure the mark is
used in accordance with the project's values is a separate one. I think
this issue has priority over which image we choose. If there is no
perceived value in a protected mark, we can conclude the discussion. If the
community agrees it wants to see what is possible with building a
recognizable brand associated with the project's values, then the question
of which logo to use becomes relevant.

Thanks