From: Christopher Kormanyos (e_float_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-09-07 19:06:44

> I have no idea what "bussin" and "fam" mean /strictly
bool feeble { true };
if (boost == fam){  then_stick_together(feebly);}
Christopher

    On Saturday, September 7, 2024 at 07:11:37 PM GMT+2, Seth via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

 On Fri, Sep 6, 2024, at 11:30 PM, Andrzej Krzemienski via Boost wrote:
> In Poland, where I come from, we were taught as children at that time that
> you should learn English in order to get a decent job, and so many of us
> did. But even then, when I joined a couple of discussion groups, I had a
> hard time understanding the discussion group jargon: FWIW, AFAICT, IMHO,
> LOL. Now, add to that C++-specific acronyms: can NTBS cause UB as NTTPs?
> Even now, after years of participation, I have trouble understanding new
> acronyms as they come. From the recent discussions on the future of Boost,
> I collected: BDFL, OG, SJW. I also had a hard time even googling terms "
> bussin" and "fam".

I struggled and learned all of these (and many many more) the hard way. The thought never entered my mind that my not being a native speaker had anything to do with it. I just always assume others have learned the hard way too. Which they probably do (how could there there be any other way?).

I have no idea what "bussin" and "fam" mean /strictly/ but I never needed to know exactly either. I have come to the conclusion that part of the appeal of slang is that it can be fuzzy/imprecise so that it can converge to a new popular meaning by association. I'm happy just associating. But please don't use them in any kind of formal/important communication :)

> I know some communities address this by publishing a list of acronyms and
> jargon words they use.

That can certainly help. cppreference.com has added a few canonical articles (thinking of ADL, NSMI, SIOF). The Marshall Clow FAQ and FQA contained many of these too, I think they have a new home on isocpp.org if memory serves?

Just my $0.02
Seth