From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-09-08 14:55:04

On Sun, Sep 8, 2024 at 7:27 AM Christian Mazakas via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> The problem is, if you named this code-of-conduct.html, it triggers a
> visceral reaction such as Andrey chudding out quite badly in my review
> thread.

The phrase "code of conduct" is never used generically, and usually carries
with it certain expectations of a specific brand of toxic western politics.
For example, the Beman Project, Clang/LLVM, and Carbon codes of conduct are
similar (or identical?) and include this clause:

"In rare cases, violations of this code outside of these spaces may affect
a person’s ability to participate within these spaces."

I am not particularly fond of these types of rules, and seeing them applied
in Boost would make me reconsider my participation. There's a good reason:
I've already been banned from the Carbon project for my "off-platform
behavior." Not because I attacked anyone, but because I failed to
sufficiently punish someone in the Official C++ Language Slack Workspace.
And I recall a certain person who was banned from LLVM after years of
contribution, because of a legal entanglement from fifteen years ago. They
have done nothing wrong, yet they are banned from participation because
"other people feel unsafe."

If someone bothers me, I can simply ignore them or use stronger technical
means to avoid their content. I don't particularly like it when some person
or group of people claiming "authority" decides for me who I can associate
with. It is especially bothersome when governments do it. For example, by
demanding that tech companies deplatform people from certain countries.
Minimizing someone's position by calling it a "chud out" is not only
dismissive but it is tone deaf to the damage caused when the people who
make up the rules go on witch hunts for political enemies. This not only
damages contributors but also hurts the projects where it happens. If one
were so inclined they might compare the quality of technical discussions on
Slack compared to a certain inclusive Discord with its comprehensive Code
of Conduct and form a new opinion.

Thanks