From: Andrzej Krzemienski (akrzemi1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-09-11 13:03:28

śr., 11 wrz 2024 o 07:41 Zach Laine via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
napisał(a):

> [...]
> non-standard, which is unavoidable for a doc chain (there is no de
> facto standard), but odd and disappointing when it comes to build (the
> world has standardized on CMake, for better or worse).
>
> 4) The one time I managed to cajole someone into doing a Boost review,
> it was rejected because people didn't see the point of it. I'm still
> not sure why that was. It had a point, is quite useful, and is now in
> the standard. At the time of the review, it was clear that this was
> probably going into C++ with or without Boost, and people also did not
> care to have it in Boost for that reason. One kind of Boost library
> content is implementations of things that are in the standard that
> might not yet be in your implementation. This was a chance to
> influence the direction of a standard library entity, and people did
> not see that opportunity for influence to be worth their time.
>
> That last point is very important. #4 is not a criticism, so much as
> pointing out a very different orientation of Boost vs. WG21. There's
> nothing wrong with this. It does however indicate that a new project,
> focused exclusively on road-testing new libraries bound for the
> standard, should be created. That project is Beman.
>
> > Of course, the proposal authors may not want to do it for valid reasons.
> In
> > that case, I would expect Boost Foundation Board members present at WG21
> > meetings to collect these reasons and report them to the Boost community,
> > e.g., via the Boost Developers mailing list. Is this happening?
>
> I've said these things at various times, on the list and off, but what
> I wrote above is the first time I've tried to summarize all the issues
> in one place.
>
> > I hear from my colleagues in WG21 that it is Boost leaders that proposed
> > the Beman project because they do not think Boost works well. This is
> more
> > like a rumor, so one can hardly build their position based on this, but
> it
> > adds to the impression that there is a subset of the Boost Foundation
> Board
> > members who do not believe Boost is capable of fulfilling the mission of
> > incubating the libraries intended for standardization.
>
> This is not accurate. I think the consensus among Beman participants
> is that Boost should do what Boost does well -- peer reviewed C++
> libraries -- and Beman should do its thing -- provide a testing ground
> and distribution mechanism not for C++ libraries in general, but for
> C++ standard library entities *only*. These are very different aims.
>
> > They may be right. But in that case, I think the Boost community deserves
> > to hear the reasons.
> >
> > My impression might be wrong and unfair, therefore I would like the
> people
> > to respond to this, and possibly clear things up.
>
> Hopefully what I wrote answers your questions.

Indeed it does!
Thanks Zach for this input. This is exactly the kind of information I was
hoping to get.
This gives us something to work on.
I take it seriously that Boost is perceived as an unwelcoming environment.
Also, some things that you say seem to correspond with Vinnie's
observation. If one feels one got a green light from LEWG that one's
library will be accepted into STD, the motivation for putting it into Boost
diminishes. Here, I do not think we will be able to do much.

Once again,
Thank you for your thoughtful input.

Regards,
&rzej;