From: Artyom Beilis (artyom.beilis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-09-19 11:13:05

Hi,

Only now have I noticed this proposal, and here are some of my thoughts.

It can be excellent to have something like standard MD arrays like numpy is
today for python, but...

1. You haven't mentioned even once OpenCV which today is the de-facto
standard for numerical computing in today's C++ world. While it isn't
perfect - it actually has similar features in terms of array layout - and
what is more important it has a library of high performance algorithms to
process the data. You must talk at least about interoperability between
cv::Mat and this library

2. While actual ndarry handling is nice, it is basically a tip of an
iceberg. You need a decent set of high performance algo combined with it.

Looks like there is a basic BLAS but the typical library has way-way more
to make it useful.
I looked over the code and didn't find include to cblas... Did I miss
something? Also I see request to link cblas/openblas or so.
I did breef look into implementation and it seems to be lacking of
vectorization (use of intrinsics/vector operators) or have I missed?
3. Finally I do want to see comparison with stuff like OpenCV, Eigen and
even uBlas (I know it isn't good)
4. If you do implement many high performance algorithms this library by any
means shouldn't be header only.

What is not clear to me is why should I use one over some existing solution
like OpenCV?

Artyom