From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-10-05 20:20:31

On 10/4/24 21:21, Vinnie Falco via Boost wrote:
> Should one or more of these libraries be marked as "deprecated" in their
> corresponding meta/libraries.json?
>
> Array
> Assign
> Chrono
> Compatibility
> compressed_pair
> enable_if
> ForEach
> functional
> mem_fn
> move
> MPL
> Ratio
> ResultOf
> Typeof
>
> The new website could use this information to annotate the library. We
> could add a "reason" field to libraries.json which is displayed on the
> site. The website could have a checkbox, "hide deprecated", enabled by
> default. We could show the reason for the deprecation. For example, that
> mp11 is a more modern and functional version of MPL. Or that ForEach is now
> a C++ language feature.

What would be the meaning of such markup?

When we mark some parts of library API as deprecated we intend to
eventually remove it. Are you proposing to remove these libraries after
the deprecation period?

What would you recommend to do to users of these libraries, both within
and outside Boost? Note that in some cases it isn't possible to port
from these libraries without also breaking user-visible API in
downstream libraries. So removing those libraries will have implications
beyond their direct users.