From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-10-08 00:36:32

On Mon, Oct 7, 2024 at 5:31 PM Peter Dimov via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> The suggestion here wasn't about declaring core libraries deprecated...
> well,
> it was, but "obsolete" is a better term than "deprecated". It's about
> discouraging the use of obsolete libraries in new code. The problem is that
> when we display the list of libraries, we give no hints to the initiated
> that
> a library has been obsoleted by the language (which is the case with Move
> and Foreach), the stdlib (the case with Bind, MemFn, Ratio, and many
> others),
> or by another Boost library (MPL and Mp11.)

Changing the presentation of the libraries on the website is easy, and
should be largely uncontroversial. Anyone who has thoughts on it can open
an issue and it will be addressed.

What I am proposing is something more fundamental. A deeper treatment of
these obsolete libraries. How deep? Well, I don't quite know, hence the
reason for the original post. At one extreme there is the idea to no longer
include, for example Boost.Move in the release. The repository would not
disappear but we wouldn't go out of our way to install it on people's
machines. This may not be practical right now given the number of
dependees but it still merits thought. At the other extreme we have just
marking the library on the website as "obsolete." We should definitely do
that.

Yet there are still questions which we should consider. For example, do we
want to list Boost.Move here? What purpose would that serve, other than to
lay a trap for users of modern C++?

https://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_86_0/doc/html/libraries.html

Many such examples exist.

Thanks