Boost logo

Ublas :

From: Server Levent Yilmaz (leventyilmaz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-01-01 19:57:31

On 1/1/07, Gunter Winkler <guwi17_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Why is serialization of ublas vectors and matrices so important? In
> numerical applications the matrices usually are computed from a small
> set of input data, used for some computations and finally discarded.

well, for one, there are many "big" applications where you need to
checkpoint those data, .i.e output restart information. And you most
certainly do not want to use formatted output such as:

Thus I am quite happy with the simple cout << M; cin >> M; methods

for vectors/matrices of order 10^6+.

That said, there are many other examples where serialization of even tinier
ublas entities would really be very useful, though perhaps not as commonly
needed. Outputting XML for web based applications would be one example ...
Another one is that the new Boost.MPI library (see boost HEAD) uses
serialization interface for messaging. ublas would be ready to go for
parallel programing had it supported serialization...

--
Server Levent Yilmaz
Mechanical Engineering @ PITT