Boost logo

Ublas :

From: Andreas Klöckner (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-10 00:46:47

Hi Karl,

On Dienstag 08 April 2008, Karl Meerbergen wrote:
> We could create a sourceforge project for bindings, with (temporary)
> access to those who want to contribute. This gives us more freedom than
> the Boost svn. A regular commit to the boost.sandbox would then be
> possible: we would then have a stable version on boost.sandbox (the
> official version) and an experimental version on sourceforge. It would
> also avoid working with patches.

Hmm, I guess the issue I am trying to address is that the development process
for the bindings is a bit too cathedral-y [1] for my liking. I'm not sure a
sf repository addresses the needs of drive-by contributors adequately, who
will most likely focus on getting the library to do what they need it to, and
contributing back is (understandably) not the most important thing they have
to achieve. As such, we should be grateful that they indeed do take the time
to submit what they have written, and provide a place for their contributions
to mature. A welcoming attitude will also make it more likely that people do
contribute back.

> However, some guidelines in making
> bindings would be good, so that the interfaces and general behaviour are
> the same for all.

I agree that there should be guidelines, but apart from clear ownership and
BSL1 licensing, most everything can be fixed after the fact, I think. I tried
writing down some guidelines, but all I came up with was either banal or very
vague.

Andreas

[1] http://catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-bazaar/