From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-17 12:00:51
>>After a long investigation, and much hair pulling, I found the
>>and hacked a solution.
> Wow! Thanks!
>>The problem is a basic issue with the SEARCH capability of Jam. Simply
>>put it makes no distinction between files and directories. Which means
>>that it will match a directory to a header without question.
>>Unfortunately this is something that is not easy to fix in Jam itself.
> That would make sense from the behavior observed. So is it really that
> hard to patch bjam? Or is it some fundamental problem with the
> language? (Would the Jam grammar now be different, or the semantics of
> the SEARCH keyword be different -- I'm totally unfamiliar with the
> underlying Jam language).
The problem is changing SEARCH such that it doesn't break the other uses
it's put to for finding targets which must include directories. So in
this case it is hard to patch bjam because this is a feature used in
many places. So changing it for one use will kill the others. I did try
one small change to it and only succeeded in preventing bjam from
building itself :-\
-- -- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything -- Redshift Software, Inc. - http://redshift-software.com -- rrivera/acm.org - grafik/redshift-software.com - 102708583/icq
Boost-Build list run by bdawes at acm.org, david.abrahams at rcn.com, gregod at cs.rpi.edu, cpdaniel at pacbell.net, john at johnmaddock.co.uk