From: Andrey Melnikov (melnikov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-02 13:40:53
Alexey Pakhunov wrote:
> This body part will be downloaded on demand.
I've just reviewed the patch itself and found the following problems:
1) I don't think that it's a good idea to move all autodetection code to
msvc-config. Also, registry autodetection is more powerful than
detection using environment, and I don't see any reasons to use both
these methods at the same time.
2) sdk-path ?= $(ProgramFiles)"\\Mircosoft Platform SDK" ;
The path is misspelled.
3) I think it's a bad idea to specify default values for features in
init rule. I think feature.set-default rule should be run instead, or
there should be another similar mechanism to do this.
I also see similar fragments in old msvc.jam:
linker = [ get-values <linker> : $(options) ] ;
linker ?= link ;
I think Vladimir Prus can help us here because I'm not so fluent in BB
internals. Vladimir, is this a recommended practice or it's a legacy code?
4) /Zm800 switch isn't specific to i386 architecture.
5) Some warnings can be annoying in 99% of scenarios, but I think it
isn't a good idea to suppress warnings unconditionally.
6) bufferoverflowu.lib is required only in MSPSDK x64 builds. VC8 June
CTP doesn't require it to be specified and /VERBOSE:LIB doesn't show it.
So the exact condition when to link with bufferoverflowu should be
Boost-Build list run by bdawes at acm.org, david.abrahams at rcn.com, gregod at cs.rpi.edu, cpdaniel at pacbell.net, john at johnmaddock.co.uk