From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-25 12:16:37
second release candidate for Milestone 11 is available. Please grab it
and give it a try on your projects. If you run into any problems, report it on
the list or file it in the tracker (https://zigzag.cs.msu.su/boost.build),
with "M11" as milestone, and don't forget to specify your email.
We don't have any outstanding issues, so if no bugs are reported within a
week, this will be released.
Changes relative to RC1:
- Versioned config for Sun compiler now works.
- Fixed binary stripping and ignore <runtime-link>static
- Several examples are now automatically tested.
- The --clean option no longer deletes sources of 'cast'.
- Digital Mars fixes.
- Many documentation edits.
- Windows-specific fixes in the testsuite.
Changes relative to M10 follow.
Milestone 11 (not yet released)
Changes in this release:
- New C++ compilers: IBM xlf, HP aCC, HP CXX, Intel fortran compiler.
- New tools: Qt4 support, MS message compiler and IDL compiler.
- New main targets: 'notfile' and 'cast'.
- Core changes:
- Only one file required at top level of a project, named Jamroot.
- Jamfiles can now contain project-specific help messages.
- "Indirect conditional requirements" introduced
- Strip suffix in main target names when computing names of generated
- The 'source-location' project attribute can contain
- Usage requirements are propagated not only direct dependents,
but to indirect dependents.
- Command line option changes (see http://tinyurl.com/zbycz)
- New option --build-dir
- The --clean option cleans only target below the current directory,
- New --clean-all option was added.
- New option --debug-building
- Running "bjam some_directory" works even if there's no Jamfile
in the current directory.
- Toolset improvements:
- Assembling support with gcc, borland and msvc.
- Support amd64/ia64 cross-compiling with msvc.
- Improved, registry-based autodetection for msvc.
- Serialize execution of gcc.link actions
- Precompiled headers supported on MSVC
- New features <warnings> and <warnings-as-errors>
- The 'glob' rule accepts wildcards in directory names.
- The 'stage' rule was renamed to 'install'
(the old name still available for compatibility)
- The <tag> feature can accept user-defined function as value
- The 'install' rule can install a directory hierarchy preserving relative
- The 'install' rule no longer allows to change library
name during install.
- The Jamfile referred via 'use-project' may declare project id different
from the one in 'use-project'.
- The 'using' rule now searches the directory of containing Jamfile.
The following bugs were fixed:
- The <library> feature was ignored for static linking
- Fix #include scanning for C files.
- Child projects were sometimes loaded before parent projects.
- Fix project references with absolute paths on Windows.
- The <dependency> feature was ignored for 'install' targets.
- A generator having the same type in sources and targets was causing
- Use 'icpc' command for Intel, fixing errors with 8.1 and higher.
- Generation of PS files with the FOP tool really produces .PS files.
- No dependency scanning was done for C files.
- The 'constant' and 'path-constant' rules did not accept multi-element
- Don't pass -fcoalesce-templates to gcc on OSX 10.4
- Fix static lib suffix on OSX.
- Fix rpath setting on Intel/Linux.
- The 'install' rule don't unnecessary scans #includes in installed
Developer visible changes:
- Ability to customize type's prefix depending on build properties.
- Generator's 'run' method can return usage-requirements.
- Main target rule is automatically declared for each new target type.
- 'Link incompatible' feature attribute was removed
- Generators no longer bypass unhandled sources, they just ignore them.
- If there are several applicable generators, immediately report
ambiguity. Provide a way to explicitly resolve conflicts between
- The 'flags' rule can match absense of feature.
- Great improvement in response files handling
- The 'toolset.flags' rules allows value-less feature to signify
absense of this feature (fix hack-hack).
- Automatically declare main target rule for each declared target type.
- When inheriting types, inherit generators for the base type, as opposed
to using various hacks to invoke base generators when needed.
- Improve diagnostic for "duplicate actual target" and generator
-- Vladimir Prus http://vladimir_prus.blogspot.com Boost.Build V2: http://boost.org/boost-build2
Boost-Build list run by bdawes at acm.org, david.abrahams at rcn.com, gregod at cs.rpi.edu, cpdaniel at pacbell.net, john at johnmaddock.co.uk