Boost logo

Boost Interest :

From: troy d straszheim (troy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-06-21 18:24:35

troy d. straszheim wrote:
> On the CMAKE_RC_COMPILER: we saw this error as well... then it
> mysteriously disappeared, we didn't manage to toggle it and document
> how.

I looked at this again, here are a couple of observations:

Visual studio includes a .bat file that appears to load the VS environment
into a running command prompt session. Mine is located at

  c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\bin\vcvars32.bat

I can do the following from a vanilla command prompt window (not the one
from the visual studio submenu)

c:\boost\branches\CMake\release>mkdir bld

c:\boost\branches\CMake\release>cd bld

(../src contains a checkout of the cmake release branch)

c:\boost\branches\CMake\release\bld>cp ../src/BuildSlave.cmake .

c:\boost\branches\CMake\release\bld>notepad slave-description.txt

c:\boost\branches\CMake\release\bld>type slave-description.txt
vista build slave

c:\boost\branches\CMake\release\bld>cmake -C BuildSlave.cmake ..\src
-- Reading initial cache for build slaves.
-- Will take build details from slave-description.txt
-- The C compiler identification is unknown
-- The CXX compiler identification is unknown
CMake Error: your RC compiler: "CMAKE_RC_COMPILER-NOTFOUND" was not
found. Ple
ase set CMAKE_RC_COMPILER to a valid compiler path or name.
-- Check for CL compiler version
-- Check for CL compiler version - failed
-- Check if this is a free VC compiler
-- Check if this is a free VC compiler - yes
-- Check CL platform
-- Check CL platform - 64 bit
-- Using FREE VC TOOLS, NO DEBUG available
-- Check for working C compiler: cl
CMake Error: your RC compiler: "CMAKE_RC_COMPILER-NOTFOUND" was not
found. Ple
ase set CMAKE_RC_COMPILER to a valid compiler path or name.
CMake Error: your C compiler: "cl" was not found. Please set
CMAKE_C_COMPILER
to a valid compiler path or name.
CMake Error: Internal CMake error, TryCompile configure of cmake failed
-- Check for working C compiler: cl -- broken
CMake Error at C:/Program Files/CMake
2.6/share/cmake-2.6/Modules/CMakeTestCComp
iler.cmake:32 (MESSAGE):
   The C compiler "cl" is not able to compile a simple test program.

   It fails with the following output:

   CMake will not be able to correctly generate this project.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
   CMakeLists.txt:28 (project)

CMake Error: your C compiler: "cl" was not found. Please set
CMAKE_C_COMPILER
to a valid compiler path or name.
CMake Error: your CXX compiler: "cl" was not found. Please set
CMAKE_CXX_COMPI
LER to a valid compiler path or name.
-- Configuring done

Now, if I run that .bat file from the visual studio install:

c:\boost\branches\CMake\release\bld>"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
Studio 9.
0\Common7\Tools\vsvars32.bat"
Setting environment for using Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 x86 tools.

That much looks good, but if I simply rerun cmake:

c:\boost\branches\CMake\release\bld>cmake -C BuildSlave.cmake ..\src
-- Reading initial cache for build slaves.
-- Will take build details from slave-description.txt
-- The C compiler identification is MSVC
-- The CXX compiler identification is MSVC
CMake Error: your RC compiler: "CMAKE_RC_COMPILER-NOTFOUND" was not
found. Ple
ase set CMAKE_RC_COMPILER to a valid compiler path or name.
-- Using FREE VC TOOLS, NO DEBUG available
-- Check for working C compiler: C:/Program Files/Microsoft Visual
Studio 9.0/VC
/bin/cl.exe
CMake Error: your RC compiler: "CMAKE_RC_COMPILER-NOTFOUND" was not
found. Ple
ase set CMAKE_RC_COMPILER to a valid compiler path or name.
CMake Error: Internal CMake error, TryCompile configure of cmake failed
-- Check for working C compiler: C:/Program Files/Microsoft Visual
Studio 9.0/VC
/bin/cl.exe -- broken
CMake Error at C:/Program Files/CMake
2.6/share/cmake-2.6/Modules/CMakeTestCComp
iler.cmake:32 (MESSAGE):
   The C compiler "C:/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio
9.0/VC/bin/cl.exe"
   is not able to compile a simple test program.

   It fails with the following output:

   CMake will not be able to correctly generate this project.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
   CMakeLists.txt:28 (project)

-- Configuring done

But this appears to be a failure of cmake, not the environment. If you
then delete the CMakeCache.txt and rerun:

c:\boost\branches\CMake\release\bld>rm CMakeCache.txt

c:\boost\branches\CMake\release\bld>cmake -C BuildSlave.cmake ..\src
-- Reading initial cache for build slaves.
-- Will take build details from slave-description.txt
-- The C compiler identification is MSVC
-- The CXX compiler identification is MSVC
-- Check for CL compiler version
-- Check for CL compiler version - 1500
-- Check if this is a free VC compiler
-- Check if this is a free VC compiler - no
-- Check CL platform
-- Check CL platform - 32 bit
-- Check for working C compiler: C:/Program Files/Microsoft Visual
Studio 9.0/VC
/bin/cl.exe
-- Check for working C compiler: C:/Program Files/Microsoft Visual
Studio 9.0/VC
/bin/cl.exe -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler: C:/Program Files/Microsoft Visual
Studio 9.0/
VC/bin/cl.exe
-- Check for working CXX compiler: C:/Program Files/Microsoft Visual
Studio 9.0/
VC/bin/cl.exe -- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Found PythonInterp: C:/Program Files/Python25/python.exe
-- found python executable C:/Program Files/Python25/python.exe
-- Found PythonLibs: C:/Program Files/Python25/libs/python25.lib
-- found python includes C:/Program Files/Python25/include
-- found python libs C:/Program Files/Python25/libs/python25.lib
-- Configuring test/compile drivers
-- Looking for doxygen...
-- Looking for doxygen... - NOT found
-- Looking for dot tool...
-- Looking for dot tool... - NOT found
-- + algorithm
-- + any
-- + array
-- + assign
-- + bind
-- + circular_buffer
-- + concept_check
-- + config
-- Performing Test tmp
-- Performing Test tmp - Failed
-- + conversion
-- + crc
-- + date_time
-- WARNING: testtime_wstream pops up visual studio debug assertion
failure box
-- + disjoint_sets
-- + dynamic_bitset
-- + system
-- + filesystem
-- + foreach
-- + format
-- + function
-- + function_types
-- + functional
-- + gil
-- + graph
-- Could NOT find EXPAT
-- + integer
-- + io
-- + iostreams
-- + iterator
-- + lambda
-- + logic
-- + math
-- + serialization
-- + mpi
-- + mpl
-- + multi_array
-- + multi_index
-- + numeric
-- + optional
-- + parameter
-- + pool
-- + preprocessor
-- + program_options
-- + property_map
-- + ptr_container
-- + python
-- + quickbook
-- + random
-- + range

Things look good. So... Dave is it possible you were doing
configuration of cmake in a build directory that had failed
configuration once?

-t