Boost logo

Boost Interest :

From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-18 20:12:42

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 5:40 PM, Doug Gregor <doug.gregor_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I've just rolled a new binary distribution for Visual Studio 2008/VC++
> 9.0 based on the Boost 1.36.0 branch. The installer is here:
>
> http://www.osl.iu.edu/~dgregor/Boost-CMake/Boost-1.36.0-vc9.exe>
>
> The installer itself is relatively small, because it downloads all of
> the selected components on-the-fly as part of the installation. It
> also has full add/remove support for individual libraries, keeping
> track of which libraries were installed and maintaining inter-library
> dependency information.
>
> Comments greatly appreciated. Give it a spin!

Gave it a try on a Vista notebook machine. Very good overall impression,
even with these slightly rough edges:

* Open File - Security Warning: "The publisher could not be verified. Are
you sure you want to run this software?" Not a showstopper, but it would
look more professional if we could avoid this.

* Same problem Niels reported, except worse. I could only see a few pixels
of the top of capital letters, so would not have even known what was
happening except that I had read Niels' post.

* Choose components: Date-time: Jeff's email address being truncated. Hum...
Same problem with some but not all other libraries.

* Choose components: Python - the description gets truncated. Ditto several
others. Getting a good fit for the text is clearly a problem. Any reason the
dialog box couldn't be bigger or resizable?

* Choose components: Would benefit from a "Deselect all", for those who are
only after one or two libraries.

* It would be helpful to have a choice of 32 or 64 bit libraries. Or is that
a different installer?

* Some folks prefer dll linking only. Others think dll's are "the work of
the devil" and want static linking only. Still others want both. At least
eventually it would be nice to cater to all these tastes.

* The resulting directory structure isn't quite right. IMO, the next level
under /Program Files/Boost should be "boost_1_36". The level under that
should be similar to the boost tree as distributed in the zip/bz2/etc files,
except that there won't be any entries in the boost or libs subtrees for
omitted libraries.

Overall, the installer is clearly headed in the right direction, and should
be a wonderful improvement for everyday users!

Thanks for all your effort,

--Beman