Boost logo

Boost Interest :

Subject: Re: [Boost-cmake] CMake modularization update
From: Michael Jackson (mike.jackson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-28 16:17:05

On Oct 27, 2008, at 5:04 PM, David Abrahams wrote:

> on Mon Oct 27 2008, Mike Jackson <mike.jackson-AT-bluequartz.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Doug
>> Is there any more work to be done on this front? I am looking for a
>> project to work in the immediate future and I think my own CMake
>> experience may help to finish this up if needed. Also what else
>> would
>> need to be worked on?
>
> Doug is exceedingly busy at the moment, but from what he told me, only
> some fraction of the libraries have been modularized, and it would
> be a
> big improvement if we could modularize them all.
>
> Another thing you could do, for which I'd be happy to give you svn
> write
> permission, is merge all the CMake support into the Boost trunk. As I
> mentioned earlier, it will make a big difference to be able to get
> test
> results for something useful, rather than the outdated boost-cmake
> branch.
>
> --
> Dave Abrahams
> BoostPro Computing
> http://www.boostpro.com

Just an update on what I have been messing around with today (really
just want to be sure I am understanding what _really_ needs to be done).

I merged the "branches/cmake/release" into the "trunk" locally on my
machine by just copying the "CMake" related files from the branch
working directory to the trunk working directory.

I used a combination of zip/unzip to do this. Here is the zip command:

zip -r "../boost-cmake.zip" "./" -i \*.cmake Welcome.txt
CMakeLists.txt README.txt tools/build/CMake/\* -x ./\*/.svn/\*

After that I started tracking down the call sequence to get to the
"Modularization" step. If I am understanding everything (From reading
the archives of this email list), the goal of the modularization task
is to get the boost trunk into a more consistent state by having the
headers located in the libs/$LIBNAME/include/boost directory instead
of Boost/*. Is that a fair assessment? So after this is completed and
the CMake build system is 100% working including regression testing
and reporting then the svn repository would be changed to reflect the
"modularized" hierarchy thus making the "Modularization" step in the
CMake build system obsolete?

I added some debugging into the BoostCore.cmake modularization code so
that I can try and figure out what has been and has NOT been
modularized. What I am coming up with is 27 libraries have been
modularized and there are 79 libraries. So that leaves 52 libraries to
be modularized. Is that Correct?

Mike Jackson mike.jackson_at_[hidden]
             www.bluequartz.net