Boost logo

Boost Interest :

Subject: Re: [Boost-cmake] CMake modularization update
From: Michael Jackson (mike.jackson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-10 12:19:02

On Nov 10, 2008, at 11:47 AM, David Abrahams wrote:

> on Fri Nov 07 2008, "Doug Gregor" <doug.gregor-AT-gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 11:55 AM, Michael Jackson
>> <mike.jackson_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>> Any ideas on what we would like to keep "un-modularized" for now?
>>> Looking
>>> at the dependency
>>> graph here are my own thoughts on which libraries should probably
>>> be kept
>>> un-modularized for now:
>>>
>>> mpl
>>> functional
>>> integer
>>> detail
>>> utility
>>> exception
>>> function
>>> preprocessor
>>> concept_check
>>> concept
>>> config
>>> type_traits
>>> static_assert
>>> iterator
>>> tuple
>>> smart_ptr
>>
>> Most of these look like they belong in the core. "detail" isn't a
>> library. I bet "function", "iterator", "tuple", and "smart_ptr" could
>> be pulled out and made into modular libraries, since they shouldn't
>> have all *that* many dependencies.
>
> Looks right to me.
>
> --
> Dave Abrahams
> BoostPro Computing
> http://www.boostpro.com

Here are the dependencies as best I can figure out for those mentioned
by Doug:

boost_module(detail DEPENDS integer)

boost_module(tuple DEPENDS static_assert)
boost_module(function DEPENDS detail preprocessor utility)
boost_module(iterator DEPENDS mpl type_traits function concept_check)
boost_module(smart_ptr DEPENDS utility)

Basically if I pull those out then we end up with circular
dependencies in the graph. I can post a new dependency graph later
today if interested.

I can go down that path an update all the CMake files but that might
be a while since I am on some other projects at the moment although I
would like to get back to the boost-cmake sooner rather than later.

FYI: Updated to latest trunk, ran "make modularize" and then built
boost. It all still builds. The testing does fail pretty quickly
though, About 15% into the tests.

Mike Jackson mike.jackson_at_[hidden]
             www.bluequartz.net