Boost logo

Boost Interest :

Subject: Re: [Boost-cmake] Variant Builds and missing libraries
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-26 09:32:16

Michael Jackson wrote:

> On Nov 13, 2008, at 12:31 PM, Vladimir Prus wrote:
>
>> Michael Jackson wrote:

>>> I chatted with Volodya on the #boost irc channel and basically if you
>>> are doing regression testing then all the variants are built.
>>
>> Err, I did not say that. I said that Boost.Build does not need any
>> up-front
>> build of anything -- if you want to run regressions with specific
>> properties,
>> it will build all that's needed.
>>
>> - Volodya
>>

> That was my basic interpretation. Basically, if you are building the
> regression tests then you will need all the variants because at some
> point all the variants are most likely used.

We seem to be miscommunicating on this point :-( Why
"all the variants are most likely used"? If I'm running test with
variant=debug link=shared, then I don't need variant=release, ever.

> I can start putting logic into the cmake files to make sure the proper
> variants are built but it is just easier to build all of them if you
> are going to be running tests. I am interested to hear all the
> arguments either way.

You'll be just wasting disk space with 8 variants of libraries, where
only 1 is needed. And debug variants are huge.

- Volodya