Boost logo

Boost Interest :

Subject: Re: [Boost-cmake] Variant Builds and missing libraries
From: Michael Jackson (mike.jackson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-26 14:19:39

On Nov 26, 2008, at 9:32 AM, Vladimir Prus wrote:

> Michael Jackson wrote:

>>> Err, I did not say that. I said that Boost.Build does not need any
>>> up-front
>>> build of anything -- if you want to run regressions with specific
>>> properties,
>>> it will build all that's needed.
>>>
>>> - Volodya
>>>

>> That was my basic interpretation. Basically, if you are building the
>> regression tests then you will need all the variants because at some
>> point all the variants are most likely used.
>
> We seem to be miscommunicating on this point :-( Why
> "all the variants are most likely used"? If I'm running test with
> variant=debug link=shared, then I don't need variant=release, ever.
>
>> I can start putting logic into the cmake files to make sure the
>> proper
>> variants are built but it is just easier to build all of them if you
>> are going to be running tests. I am interested to hear all the
>> arguments either way.
>
> You'll be just wasting disk space with 8 variants of libraries, where
> only 1 is needed. And debug variants are huge.
>
> - Volodya

Taking a deeper look into this issue (by experimenting with bjam) this
is what I am seeing (at least on OS X).

bjam errors on the side of building if I don't quite give it the right
information. For instance in the program_options testing I do the
following:

bjam cmdline_test_dll toolset=darwin variant=debug link=static

and I actually get a shared program_options library built, which is
what the regression test needs, but I don't actually get a static
program_options library built.

I also noticed that if I start adding multiple configurations (like
single and multi-threading) I will get multiple versions of the
regression test created. (Which answered another question that I was
going to ask).

Currently the CMake system will NOT do any of this. If this is the
behavior that is wanted then the logic will need to be added to the
cmake build files.

Some one will also need to add to the boost_add_test to make sure all
the variants of the test are correctly built if asked for. The logic
for all of this will be quite "interesting" to implement.

Are these things that the boost community wants in the cmake system?
Basically to have the same behavior as bjam? Was the boost community
wanting to move in another direction with the CMake build system? I am
just trying to figure out where I might want to put my efforts.

Thanks for all the helpful feedback.
Mike Jackson mike.jackson_at_[hidden]
             www.bluequartz.net