Boost logo

Boost Interest :

Subject: Re: [Boost-cmake] README.txt and Welcome.txt?
From: Daniel James (daniel_james_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-25 15:34:13

2008/11/2 Daniel James <daniel_james_at_[hidden]>:
> 2008/11/2 Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]>:
>>
>> Unless README.txt can be updated automatically, it is going to be a
>> maintenance problem for release managers.
>
> The release announcement is a quickbook file, so it should be possible
> to generate a plain text file from it (or if that's too tricky we
> could use lynx to generate text from html, it does a reasonable job).

Sorry, I'm just getting to this now. Generating plain text from
quickbook is actually quite tricky. There doesn't seem to be any
solutions for generating plain text from docbook. I had a go at
converting Rene's bbook2rss script to generate text, with reasonable
results, but don't fancy maintaining it. So I think using lynx is the
way to go. I've just checked a small php page into the beta site that
will display the release announcement in plain html, so that lynx can
generate a text file from it. The command line to do this is:

lynx -dump -nolist
http://beta.boost.org/users/history/minimal.php/version_1_37_0 >
README.txt

I've attached the output for 1.37. Does it seem okay? Is there
anything else I should add? Maybe some extra text at the start.

Beman, would it be possible for you to install lynx and add the
appropriate command to your release scripts? If you can't, I could
generate this file along with the documentation. I expect we'll need
to set this up for 1.38 since the cmake files are included in the
release.

Daniel