Boost logo

Boost Interest :

Subject: Re: [Boost-cmake] Analysis of the current CMake system
From: Bill Hoffman (bill.hoffman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-05 12:42:52

troy d. straszheim wrote:

>> Further, I have to note that command-line VS builds should be
>> supported for one simple reason: nmake does not support parallel
>> builds and probably never will. This makes VS the easiest way of
>> running a parallel build on Windows (locally or distributed with
>> additional tools). GNU make from MSYS is out of the question
>> because MSYS seems far from production-grade.
>>
>> Should IDE builds be considered support-worthy, it would of
>> course be necessary to test manually before releases.
>>
>> I hope that some of this helps
>
> Interesting, thanks for this. Would the 'cwrap' approach (where the
> compiler is called via a wrapper) work under vcbuild? (Forgive me, I
> don't do windows). The only reason I paid attention to NMAKE is that it
> was somewhat familiar to me.

No, that would not help. vcbuild uses the project files. CTest can
already run devenv from the command line which is almost the same thing.
  I think with VS you really have to test the project files for
performance, and to make sure they work. We are working on a way of
extracting the build information from the log files produced by VS.

-Bill