Boost logo

Boost Interest :

Subject: Re: [Boost-cmake] Wiki to disappear: docs in progress
From: Doug Gregor (doug.gregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-12 16:09:27

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I first tried to use the VC++ IDE compiler. The Solution file is so
> large it is impossibly slow to load and unload. A non-starter. Bill or
> Brad had warned about that, so no surprise, and I just moved on to the
> command line compiler. That's what I prefer for these canned builds
> anyhow.

Ugh. We'll still have to see if we can find a way around this.

> The files identified the build as 1_38, so it looks like yet another
> version number needs updating between releases. (I was running on
> branches/release).

We'll just parse the version number from boost/version.hpp; we don't
want to have yet another version number of worry about.

> After [100%], there were error messages:
>
> Linking CXX executable ..\..\bin\bcp.exe
> LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'boost_system-mt-shared-debug.lib'
> LINK Pass 1 failed. with 2
> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files (x86)\CMake
> 2.6\bin\cmake.exe"' : return code '0xfffff
> fff'
> Stop.
> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
> Studio 9.0\VC\BIN\nmake.exe"' :
>  return code '0x2'
> Stop.
> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
> Studio 9.0\VC\BIN\nmake.exe"' :
>  return code '0x2'
> Stop.
>
> I probably shouldn't have tried to build bcp; I'm still getting used
> to the configure options.

Interesting; I'll look into this later. The CMake rules for the
"tools" subdirectory are a bit ugly now, but clearly something is
going wrong here.

> Anyhow, not a bad start for the first try. What do I do to create an
> installer? Is there a set of nmake commands?

I suspect it's just:

  nmake modularize

then

  nmake package