Boost logo

Boost Interest :

Subject: [Boost-cmake] placement_new test failure under VC++8
From: David Wolfe (dwolfe_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-16 00:47:42

A runtime error in one of the unit tests has been making it difficult to
get continuous builds going under Windows. I get about halfway through
the tests and then a message box pops up containing the following text:

   Debug Error!

   Program: ...
   Module:
   ..rojects\boost\build\bin\tests\numeric\placement_new.exe
   File
   c:\projects\boost\libs\numeric\ublas\placement_new.cpp
   Line: 63

   Run-Time Check Failure #2 - Stack around the variable 'a' was
   corrupted.

   (Press Retry to debug the application)

If I click 'Ignore', the rest of the tests complete, and my results get
submitted to the dashboard; but this prevents me from doing unattended
builds. And if I locally disable the placement_new test with something
like:

   if(NOT MSVC)
     boost_test_run(placement_new)
   endif()

then ctest carps that I've got a locally-modified tree and refuses to
continue:

   c:\projects\boost\build>ctest -D Continuous
      Site: fifthsally
      Build name: msvc-8.0-windows
   Create new tag: 20090516-0414 - Continuous
   Start processing tests
   Updating the repository
      Updating the repository: C:/projects/boost
      Use SVN repository type
      Old revision of repository is: 53041
      New revision of repository is: 53041
      Gathering version information (one . per revision):

      Found 1 locally modified files
      There are modified or conflicting files in the repository

I think I can get around this by running running ctest as follows:

   ctest -D Continuous -E placement_new

But it might be nice if someone with write access could add the 'if(NOT
MSVC)' bit around 'boost_test_run(placement_NEW)' in
libs/numeric/ublas/test/CMakeLists.txt. (Or fix it if it's a 'real'
error...)