Boost logo

Boost Interest :

Subject: Re: [Boost-cmake] boost 1.41.0-cmake0 and CMake 2.6.4 - The usual, CMake can not find boost.
From: troy d. straszheim (troy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-04 18:06:55

Philip Lowman wrote:
>> Try these docs:
>>
>> http://sodium.resophonic.com/boost-cmake/1.41.0.cmake0/doc/exported_targets.html
>>
>> YMMV. The underscores were something that bjam did. I'd really like to
>> make a clean break with the past, I have ideas but nothing too firm yet.
>
> Not that I don't appreciate all of the hard work being done getting
> Boost to build with CMake, but is making a "clean break with the past"
> really a good idea here? That is to say, wouldn't it be easier on
> everyone if the CMake build of Boost matched the bjam defaults
> (especially when it comes to filename/path issues)?

I don't know offhand. Are you going to say what they are and argue that
position?

Michael just demonstrated how to get the installation to play nice with
the abomination that is FindBoost.cmake. This is now documented. You
could add a flag INSTALL_WITH_FINDBOOST_BACKWARDS_COMPAT that would do
those things, that'd be fine.

Another possiblity is to distribute a script, say, FindBoost2.cmake that
people could put into their projects that would first look for
cmake-installed boosts and then fall back to FindBoost.cmake practice if
they're not available.

Anyhow, when I said "clean break with the past", I wasn't talking about
changing some underscores to dots just to be different.

-t