Re: [Boost-docs] a couple quickbook bugs (or features?) regarding italics and variablelists

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] a couple quickbook bugs (or features?) regarding italics and variablelists
From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-29 23:46:00

Stjepan Rajko wrote:
> If I have a template ProducerConcept and I write:
>
> ['[ProducerConcept]]
>
> the template gets expanded and written in italics, but if I write:
>
> /[ProducerConcept]/
>
> I get [ProducerConcept] in italics, i.e. the template does not get
> expanded. Is this intended? Seems a bit weird.

This is documented:
Simple formatting
* Simple markups cannot nest. You can combine a simple markup with a nestable
markup.
* Simple markups cannot contain any other form of quickbook markup.

I know a way to relax these limitations, but it will involve some
complexity. I am not sure yet if the added complexity is worth it.

> Also, if I write:
>
> This is a variablelist:
> [variablelist blah
> [[a][b]]
> ]
>
> The variablelist will not get expanded. I have to insert a space before it:
>
> This is a variablelist:
>
> [variablelist blah
> [[a][b]]
> ]
>
> However, if I do a table instead of variablelist:
>
> This is a table:
> [table blah
> [[a][b]]
> ]
>
> The table does get expanded. Somewhat curiously, the following is
> also 100% fine:
>
> This is a table and varlist:
> [table blah
> [[a][b]]
> ]
> [variablelist blah
> [[a][b]]
> ]
>
> Bug? Since both table and variablelist are block-level elements, I'd
> expect them to behave the same.

Bug. Fixed now.

> Sorry I'm no good with Spirit, I can't help much with trying to fix
> these if they are bugs :-(

No problem.

Regards,

--